Monday, April 9, 2018

Reading Notes: The Sword Excalibur

King Arthur had fought a hard battle with the tallest Knight and although he fought hard, he would have done better had Merlin not enchanted the Knight and cast him into a deep sleep. The king went to a hermit who studied the art of healing and healed all his wounds in three days.

As they left, Arthur said, "I have no sword," but Merlin told him to have patience and he would get him one soon. They came to a large lake and in the middle an arm rose up out of the water holding a sword.

"Look!" said Merlin. "That is the sword I spoke of. The king looked again and a maiden stood on the water. "That is the Lady of the Lake," said Merlin, "and she is coming to you, and if you ask her courteously she will give you the sword."

When the maiden got close Arthur saluted her and said, "Maiden, I pray you will tell me whose sword is that which an arm is holding out of the water? I wish it were mind, for I have lost my sword."

"That sword is mine, King Arthur," she answered, "and I will give it to you, if you in return will give me a gift when I ask you."

"By my faith," said the King, "I will give you whatever gift you ask."

"Well, get into the barge yonder and row yourself to the sword and take it with you. As for my gift, I will ask on my own time."

They got off their horses and went to the barge. They grabbed the sword and heading back toward land.

"I like the sword over the scabbard," said Arthur. "That is not wise to say, the scabbard is worth ten of the sword. If it is buckled on you, you will lose no blood but you may be wounded." said Merlin. They rode back into town and Arthur's Knights gave them a glad welcome saying it was a joy to serve under a King who risked his life as much as any other man.

The Sword Excalibur by Andrew Lang.


Sword Excalibur. Source: Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning Challenge: Empathy

I read the article, " 10 Reasons to Stop Judging People " and I think everyone needs to read this piece. It's such good remind...