Friday, February 2, 2018

Feedback Strategies

When giving feedback to other people in my life, I try to think about their side of the story and how they're going to take it. I'm generally a very honest person, but the honest answer doesn't always give the best feedback. If someone's paper is not written very well, I never tell them it's not good enough. I always give them specific ways they can improve.

When working as a dance instructor, I was taught a great way to give feedback: sandwich the comments. Start out with a positive comment, give them constructive criticism or a way they can improve, then finish with another positive comment. Therefore they're leaving on a high note.

I ready both "What Kinds of Messages Helps Kids Grow?" and "Be a Mirror" and I learned a lot from both articles. In the first one, I didn't realize how important the feedback process was especially to younger children. If you comment on the ways they can help learn a skill, they will be more motivated to do it instead of giving saying, "try again!" The second article gives ways of how evaluators can give feedback in ways that won't reflect back judgement which has a really positive effect on a person's mindset. These articles were really helpful in learning new and different ways for giving feedback!

Proverbs 18:15 Source: Flickr

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peyton!

    I know exactly how you feel about giving feedback. When we are peer reviewing, I always feel horrible if I say that their paper is not good, so I typically just say that they should do x, y, and z, then it would be better. Your method to use as a dance instructor is really great. I think that is a good way to give someone constructive criticism, because then they do not feel attacked. I think that is really important. By reading these articles, I really feel that this will help me give feedback and actually help people in my future!

    ReplyDelete

Learning Challenge: Empathy

I read the article, " 10 Reasons to Stop Judging People " and I think everyone needs to read this piece. It's such good remind...